Google

Welcome to my blog

Houston Filmmakers and Actors: Filming the life of erotic researcher Alfred Kinsey, director Bill Condon finds it's déjà vu all over again

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Filming the life of erotic researcher Alfred Kinsey, director Bill Condon finds it's déjà vu all over again

Filming the life of erotic researcher Alfred Kinsey, director Bill Condon finds it's déjà vu all over again
Sex, Actually
by Jessica Winter
November 2nd, 2004 10:45 AM



Sex is comedy: Filmmaker Bill Condon (center) with actors Liam Neeson and Laura Linney
(photo: Bill Condon)

"I don't know what attracts me to biopics because I don't like them that much," says Bill Condon, who has followed Gods and Monsters, his portrait of Frankenstein director James Whale, with Kinsey, a look at the eroto-taxonomist whose bestselling fire-starter Sexual Behavior in the Human Male (1948) threw the first sparks of the sexual revolution. "In this case," says the director, "I had to avoid that deadly dreary biopic thing, but still show how an unlikely person in an unlikely place in an unlikely time took this project on." That is to say, how Alfred Kinsey—the son of a zealously Methodist family, a man more than halfway through his twenties before he lost his virginity—became the pansexual founder of the devoutly unorthodox Institute for Sex Research, located in buttoned-up mid-century Indiana.

In Kinsey (opening November 12), Condon, who won the adapted-screenplay Oscar for Gods and Monsters, sidesteps the "biopic thing" with a disciplined formal conceit: The film takes shape as Kinsey's sexual case history, as if the man of science (Liam Neeson) were one of his own research subjects. Amassing material for the script, Condon sought out Kinsey's surviving colleagues and posed his share of delicate queries about their mentor, who didn't blanch at turning himself and his co-workers into lab rats of human desire. "I spoke with Paul Gebhard, played by Tim Hutton in the movie, which was incredibly helpful," Condon recalls. "I could ask what felt like awkward questions—you know, 'What was sex night like at the Kinseys'?'—and he was so matter-of-fact about it all. There's such a great openness and nonjudgmental demeanor there, and I got a little glimpse into how they managed to make people feel comfortable when they were discussing these things."

A policy of nonjudgment perhaps also defined the fascinating open-door marriage of Alfred and Clara Kinsey (Laura Linney), in which both partners pursued other lovers—and sometimes shared them, in the case of Kinsey assistant Clyde Martin (Peter Sarsgaard). "That's the crisis moment in the film, when Kinsey admits to his wife that he's having an affair with a man," Condon says. "The bisexual aspect of it is almost beside the point. It's an archetypal situation—and Kinsey wrote about it—how to navigate the pressures of monogamy on a long-standing relationship. There's a myth in American movies that's as strong today as ever, that there exists out there a soul mate for you who will also fulfill all your sexual needs over an entire lifetime. And if you don't find that person, then somehow you've failed in life. This is something that a lot of people in committed relationships have to face, and we just don't talk about it much."

Jonathan Gathorne-Hardy, the English author of Sex, the Measure of All Things: A Life of Alfred C. Kinsey (1998), says, "Nobody can know the true nature of any marriage, this one in particular. Kinsey was a secretive man, and he didn't show his emotions easily. The difficulty in portraying him accurately is that you somehow have to take into account the people who saw in him a clear vein of kindness and sympathy as well as the people who only found him irritating, abrasive."

"There are a lot of stories about Kinsey in a social situation, where he would just boom at people in a mini-lecture—he always wanted a teacher-student relationship," Condon says. "It worried me that we were putting somebody like that at the center of a movie, because you can really grow impatient with him." (It only helps, of course, to cast the strapping and charismatic Neeson in the role.) "I was also startled by what a peacock he became once he got famous, and how much he enjoyed the limelight," Condon adds. "When you read about Gore Vidal spotting him in gay bars—now, he was there working, but the idea that this guy could become so part of the homosexual elite culture of New York in the '50s, and just assume that no one would know about it, that surprised me. He took real risks."

A forthright depiction of a knotty and sometimes disquieting life and career, Kinsey aims for a popular audience, and is thereby bound to make some theatergoers uneasy—or even hostile, given that right-wing usual suspects like Judith Reisman and Concerned Women for America have already attacked the film for spotlighting a dangerous deviant. (Reisman insists that Kinsey solicited and encouraged, rather than simply tabulated, the pedophilic acts recorded in Sexual Behavior in the Human Male.) "There's this crazy notion that if certain interests can destroy his reputation, then somehow the progress we've made since 1948 can be reversed," Condon says. "When I look at Kinsey's work I see all the ways we've advanced, most obviously through the women's movement and the gay movement. I'm an openly gay filmmaker and I don't exist in Kinsey's lifetime—that's just a fact. I'm always struck by how far we've come, but I'm also struck by how these controversies keep repeating themselves."

"This film is coming out at a very curious moment that echoes Kinsey's own time," Gathorne-Hardy says. "The religious right is very vocal, as they were in the '50s when they claimed that Kinsey was undermining the American family. And though bombs aren't going to fall on our cities or your cities, there's a frightening feeling of a warlike atmosphere that Bush has stirred up, and that harkens back to the Cold War."

Once more into the breach, then, for Alfred Kinsey—though the stakes may be even higher this time around, as Condon points out. "The fringe people who attack Kinsey always make the same leap, that talking about something is the same as endorsing it, but this is life-or-death stuff," says the director, who cites President Bush's unrealistic emphasis on abstinence education in allocating funds to fight AIDS in Africa. "The Kinsey Institute is now involved in research on condom use, and 40 percent of people they sampled don't know how to use them, including a surprising percentage who put them on after they have sex. All the attempts to impose morality on science, whether it's sex ed or stem cell research, are exactly what Kinsey faced in his day."

52 Comments:

Blogger Phoenix said...

Just a quickie to say that I like your blog a lot. Lots better than most I've seen! I'll return soon!

Hey, come see my site too! It has to do with Flash Instant Messaging Software and it's here: Flash Instant Messaging Software!!

Regards

October 1, 2005 at 8:22 PM  
Blogger tweedledeetweedledum said...

This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this gay download movie site, it's pretty awesome too!

October 1, 2005 at 11:32 PM  
Blogger Smallman said...

Interesting blog you have here, I landed here on accident. I was searching for something else and came across your site. I found it pretty interesting and entertaining. I got you book marked.

I will pop back in from time to time to see what you have new here.

My site is a bit different than yours, but just as entertaining and educational, I run a diabetes medicine related site pertaining to diabetes medicine related articles.

October 2, 2005 at 12:27 AM  
Blogger jon said...

We are trying to find good movie soundtrack to take the kids this weekend. Good movie soundtrack reviews are hard to find

I just stumbled onto your blog while looking. Seems to happen to me a lot since I am a knowledge mooch LOL

Thanks

October 2, 2005 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger Kevin Jackson said...

Well, this is interesting. I did a blog search for colombian coffee and found your site. When I get some time I'll come back and find out where colombian coffee appears and how it relates - if it even does. Take care - nice work.

October 3, 2005 at 7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had been blogging trying to find how our world sees computers and PCs. Computer has been a lifeline for us. Your site provides some of the best examples of this sort and we will bookmark yours. Another one we found was and appears to be related to yours is computer site/blog. It pretty much covers computer related stuff.

October 4, 2005 at 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my business home online successful
related site. It pretty much covers business home online successful
stuff. I guess you may find something of interest.

October 5, 2005 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger cash at home said...

Hello, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a mass email advertising site. It pretty much covers mass email advertising related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

October 6, 2005 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Wow, what a great site. I will bookmark this site and return often. It's nice to see sites like this.

Please visit my website and let me know what you think. Cheap Disney Tickets

October 6, 2005 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger Online Incomes said...

Hey I was just blog surfing amd I found your blog! Looks Great!

I also have a airline american center ticket
It deals mostly with airline american center ticket plus other stuff,
You can save up to 50% your next flight!

You should check it out if you get a chance!!

October 7, 2005 at 2:11 AM  
Blogger Tom Naka said...

Help! I am lost. I was searching for health club directory
and somehow ended up here. How that happened I don't know, however I do like your Blog a lot. Would you mind if I add your Blog to my favorites page so others can visit?

October 7, 2005 at 6:14 AM  
Blogger Jack Naka said...

Just thought i would say hi from Japan. Doing some blog surfing and found your site. Im looking for some cool styles of beauty brand for my own blog. Theres some really amazing blogs about. if you have time check out my site you will find information on beauty brand. Well when i get my blog running hope you come and check it out.

October 10, 2005 at 6:43 AM  
Blogger lawyer finder said...

know oif any good aff friend finder or other aff friend finder sites?

October 10, 2005 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger tom naka said...

Keep it up. I enjoy your nice blog. check out my restaurant week site. It pretty much covers restaurant week related stuff.

October 11, 2005 at 10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! Ilike it.But here you can find woman looking for sexTake a look if you have a minute. Thanks and have a good one!

October 13, 2005 at 7:44 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Great blog, keep up the good work. Glad to see sites like this.

Here is another good site I said I would pass along.
Disney Cruise
Thanks

October 13, 2005 at 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about from internet make money ways You should check it out sometime.

October 14, 2005 at 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Nice Blog Keep Up The Good work. I have a blog if your looking for computers digital cameras mp3 players dvd burners sotware. Your find all the best deals from the best stores on the net.

All Computer and Electronics shopping in one location

October 17, 2005 at 6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a **Make Big Money**blog. It pretty much covers Make Big Money articles related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

October 17, 2005 at 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey nice posts i added you to my bookmarks

Just wanted to say everything you posted was a good read.
Its nice too see that some people create decent and entertaining blogs, yours kept me reading for well over 10 minutes.

Thanks!

October 18, 2005 at 7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo, This blog is pretty neat. You should check out mine sometime. It pretty much covers email marketing campaign related stuff.

October 21, 2005 at 6:19 AM  
Blogger The Condom Spot said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a **condoms** site/blog. It pretty much covers ##condoms## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :

October 21, 2005 at 9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site folks, been looking for this kind of information. I have a related man wedding band
site also. You may want to take a look some time. man wedding band
I'll definitely be back.

October 22, 2005 at 6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

October 23, 2005 at 10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a promotional advertising site. It pretty much covers promotional advertising related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

October 24, 2005 at 11:46 PM  
Blogger Johnny said...

hello, your blog is interesting to read, I have a website about internet marketing, it should be helpful to you in making more web money. This is a global trend that more and more people can make a living online, so make sure you visit it.

October 25, 2005 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger TWPAdmin said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a marriage retreat
. It pretty much covers marriage retreat
related stuff. It's full of resources and articles. Come and check it out if you get time :-)

October 25, 2005 at 9:17 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a list mailing script site/blog. It pretty much covers list mailing script related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

October 26, 2005 at 9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to visit again! Please feel free to visit my blog too at http://rushprnews.iuplog.com, RushPRnews Daily Gazette.
My site is ** RushPRnews press release services, distribution and free web posting** . Cordially, Anne Laszlo-Howard

October 27, 2005 at 3:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been finding almost all of my sushi den here

October 27, 2005 at 3:40 AM  
Blogger GS said...

Here is a web site that gives away free tickets to Las Vegas shows. If you are planning a getaway to Las Vegas they have other useful things like las vegas show december Check it out las vegas show december

October 27, 2005 at 7:29 AM  
Blogger Interad said...

Hello, I am a korean visitor, good to see you.
I am sure that your blog page looks great to me which mean looking crowded so, I would like to let everybodies know korea information official site korea.net same as Dynamic korea - contains all about korea news and informations, please let me introducel this cool site. Dynamic korea offer korea travel, culture, food, arts and government info exactly what you want to knowesl korea. You better check it out some time.

October 29, 2005 at 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching for blogs that had Dallas, TX in them and came across yours. I live in Dallas and have a self defense school. I like the posts on your blog, so I've bookmarked it to stop back by periodically. Take care.

October 29, 2005 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a list mailing yahoogroups.com site/blog. It pretty much covers list mailing yahoogroups.com related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

October 29, 2005 at 6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about ma seo You should check it out sometime.

October 29, 2005 at 7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog enjoyed it :)

Keep up the excellent work! and i bookmarked u!

so cant wait for ur next post! :)

Thanks!!

October 30, 2005 at 5:14 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Good blog but without banner advertising you have little chance of selling anything.

October 31, 2005 at 2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about email marketing lead You should check it out sometime.

October 31, 2005 at 4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

University of Phoenix Online Focuses on Team Learning

Unlike some other schools, the University of Phoenix Online focuses on Team Learning. For all classes, team assignments can make up to 20% of the student’s total grade. Consequently, students get more than they bargained for when pursuing an education at Phoenix’s online university (UoP online). Find detailed discussion on
california phoenix university

November 1, 2005 at 6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about extra fast make money related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

November 2, 2005 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a american marketing association site/blog. It pretty much covers american marketing association related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

November 3, 2005 at 5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for offering this great service to learn about pet sitting services. I have a website about pet sitting services which makes me very interested in what you have going here. I think I am going to start up my own blog so I can spread the news! Thanks you are offering this great service!

November 3, 2005 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger Infactahost.com said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a e marketing site/blog. It pretty much covers e marketing related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

November 4, 2005 at 2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed you blog about keyspan energy. I also have a site about keyspan energy which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!

November 4, 2005 at 2:35 AM  
Blogger Dokdo Island said...

hello
offers or buyers

These days trade business much easier since internet development.
On net, we can find well made trade portal site.
In fact, those cool sites help your trade business.
How many countries? what kinds of products?
Yes, we can not count.
Around the world, someone looking for your products, and a company
want to import your goods.
Trade portal site become huge marketplace so it called "emarketplace."
How many emarketplace do you know.
Which emarketplace do you recommend.
I am proudly tell you the emarketplace "buykorea.org"
You may not buy korea, but you can buy and sell what you want.
Buykorea.org trade service managed by kotra(un profit trade agency)
Your marketing budget will be save and business increased.
Check what do you want to know about

November 4, 2005 at 3:30 AM  
Blogger tipsonrelationships said...

This is a terrific blog on my chemical romance im not ok
. My site on my chemical romance im not ok
is also a great place to get some valuable information. Stop by when you get a sec....

Thanks

November 5, 2005 at 8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've Made My First Affiliate Commission!

See How I Did It Here - It's Quick And Easy!

multimedia networking device product

November 7, 2005 at 1:30 AM  
Blogger Dotmotor said...

Can I tell your readers about good advertising on book client email guest marketing state united Very thought provoking ideas in your blog.

November 7, 2005 at 1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a free targeted traffic site/blog. It pretty much covers free targeted traffic related stuff. Plus you can advertise to billions using our free targeted traffic tools.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

November 7, 2005 at 7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get your site heard in our best online casino directory
Make us your homepage and read the daily updated articles.

November 7, 2005 at 9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the end of Each lesson their will be Valuable FREE Marketing Networks where you will be able to

November 10, 2005 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger limosuine said...

Excellent blog. Your site was great and will be
finding it again!  I surf the net for blogs like
yours.
Come as you are and look at my cash advance detroit blog.

January 18, 2006 at 7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

online
Online Casinos hits.