Google

Welcome to my blog

Houston Filmmakers and Actors: New building stands out amidst the Texas Medical Center's sterile architecture

Sunday, January 09, 2005

New building stands out amidst the Texas Medical Center's sterile architecture

Jan. 8, 2005, 7:09PM
New building stands out amidst the Texas Medical Center's sterile architecture
By CLIFFORD PUGH
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle


Hester + Hardaway / Bnim Architects
BIRD'S-EYE VIEW: Nearly the entire east side of the new University of Texas Health Science Center School of Nursing and Student Community Center is windowed, offering a great view of Grant Fay Park.


Hester + Hardaway / Bnim Architects
BRIGHT IDEA: The core of the building, which normally is a structure's darkest part, gets a lot of natural light from two large atriums.


Hester + Hardaway / Bnim Architects
JUST TAKE THE STAIRS: "It's amazing that you can take the stairs and see sunlight ... ," said nursing student Kim Nuñez. "Throughout the building, we can be inside and feel like it's outside.


E. Joseph Deering / Chronicle
MEMORIAL HERMANN HOSPITAL, 6411 FANNIN: This lavishly detailed Spanish-style building, designed by the Chicago firm of Berlin & Swern, opened in 1925, 11 years after the death of oilman-philanthropist George H. Hermann, who left the bulk of his estate for a charity hospital. Meticulously restored in 1990 by David Hoffman, it provides a welcoming, human-scale entrance to the Medical Center from Hermann Park.


Chronicle file
ST. LUKE'S MEDICAL TOWER, 6624 FANNIN: When it opened in 1990, this 29-story, twin-spired octagonal tower clad in silver reflective glass quickly became the Medical CenterÕs architectural signature. One reason: The top looks like two giant hypodermic needles and can be seen from miles away. Architect Cesar PelliÕs project gives the area a modern, much-needed sense of place.


Chronicle file
TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER, JOHN P. MCGOVERN CAMPUS, 2450 HOLCOMBE: This 1948 Nabisco cookiefactory, about a mile east of the Medical Center's heart, has been renovated by W.O. Neuhaus Associates into offices, laboratories and classrooms. Architects retained the original wide hallways, wooden floors, high ceilings and skylights while covering the loading dock with a metal canopy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

online
Online Casinos hits.